Foróige is delighted to team up with Aldi Ireland who are sponsoring the inaugural National Junior Baking Competition for young people in Foróige in association with the National Ploughing Association. The National Junior Baking Competition offers young people an opportunity to showcase their baking skills and be in with a chance to win not only a prize for themselves, but also for their Foróige Club or Project.
The first prize will include a trip to an outdoor pursuit centre for the Club or Project of the winner as well as an individual prize for the winner. There will also be prizes for runners up.
How does the Competition work?
The first stage of the competition will be at county level. This will take place during May or early June. These will be organised locally in each county to watch out for the local arrangements. There will be one winner per county, except in cases where there are more than 50 clubs in that county. In this instance, two county contestants will qualify for the Regional Final.
A county competition will be organised in each county as a stand-alone county event or will be organised as part of another event taking place in the county. Individual entrants will bring along something based on their county (see theme below) which they have baked themselves (see rules below) to be judged by a panel of judges. It should not require reheating or chilling on site, as these facilities may not be available.
There will be four regional finals in July - South, West, East and Midlands. Two winners from each region will qualify to compete in the semi-finals at the National Ploughing Championships in September 2015. At Regional level you will be baking on site using ingredients supplied by Aldi.
There will be two semi-final heats on 22nd and 23rd September. Again, semi finalists and finalists will be baking on site.The contestants placed first and second in each heat will qualify for the final on Thursday 24th September in the Aldi Ireland Tent at the National Ploughing Championships.
Who can enter?
The competition is open to any young person between the ages of 12 and 18 that are currently a member of a club, project (including Big Brother Big Sister), or youth service in Foróige.
Entrants will be asked to bake a product on the theme of “County Cakes”. This may be sweet or savoury; Biscuits, Bread, Pies, Desserts, Cakes, Tarts, Pastries. You can use your creativity to add a county theme to your entry. The same theme will be used at each stage of the competition.
- This competition is for individual entrants only.
- Participants must still be 18 or less on the 24th of September 2015, the day of the final of the competition.
- For the county competition each competitor will bring a homemade baked product made by them. Should they progress to the regional event they will be required to bake on site.
- It cannot be greater than 8”/20cm (round) or 7”/18cm (square) and no more than two tiers – it can of course be smaller than this!
- Each club or project group may submit only one entry. If more than one person in a group is interested, it is up to the club or group to decide how to choose one.
- Bakers must produce their goods without help from others.
- Ingredients must be purchased from Aldi – and each baker may spend a maximum of €20 on ingredients. Here is a link to the Aldi website where you can see all their products.
- Entrants in county competitions must be available to attend and compete in the regional Finals (late July) and the national finals ( 22to 24th september), if they get through to each.
- For the National Semi-Finals and Final, competitors will be obliged to use the ingredients supplied by Aldi Ireland.
- Competitors in the regional and national events must bring their own baking tins.
- The judges’ decision in all competitions is final and binding on all competitors and the fact of entering shall be deemed an acceptance of this rule.
- Immediate families of Foróige managers and employees and the directors managers and employees and the immediate families of other Promoters or the agencies or companies associated with this promotion are ineligible to enter.
Any enquiries should be directed to email@example.com