Neighbourhood Youth Projects are community based youth development and family support services working with young people aged 10 to 18 and their families. Through working with young people, families and communities, relationships are strengthened, difficulties are overcome and this benefits the young person’s development. Young people are encouraged to find solutions to their own problems and engage in positive behaviour to achieve their full potential. Neighbourhood Youth Projects are jointly managed by Foróige and the Health Service Executive with the support and guidance of local community representatives through a local advisory committee.
- Give young people a chance to overcome adversity and reach their full potential in a safe and controlled environment.
- Provide direct intervention and on-going support on a non-residential basis for young people who are identified as “at risk”. This “at risk” category includes young people experiencing personal, family, educational or social problems.
- Provide preventative care and support to young people with identified needs.
- Provide an integrated approach to family support and youth work by working closely with and involving other agencies.
- Expand and develop a range of voluntary and youth group activities particularly for those not involved in youth work provision.
- Provide a community based response to youth needs with the help of the local community, voluntary and statutory groups.
Who can access the Project
- Young people who are referred to the Project – i.e. those who are at risk of or currently experiencing personal, family, educational or social problems.
- Young people who are or, in danger of becoming: involved in crime, substance abuse, early school leavers, marginalized from their family and homeless.
- Young people in general who would benefit from the project which is facilitated by our open door policy for those aged 10-18.
- Young people who would not normally avail of youth work provision.
Programmes and Activities
- Family Support Work
- Group and Individual Work
- School Groups
- Parenting Programmes
- Summer Programmes
- Big Brothers Big Sisters Programme
- Drop-In Service
- Teenage Health Initiative
- Copping-On Programme
- Outdoor Pursuits
- Arts and Crafts
- Drama and Dance
- Foróige Citizenship Programme