Twinning New York and Irish clubs
We are exploring how to “Twin” our Foróige Clubs and Foróige Juniors in New York with similar clubs
in Ireland. If you think your club might be interested please complete this form.
We have 7 clubs in New York at the moment. Most of the members are second third or fourth
generation Irish American, as are the leaders. We have hundreds of clubs in Ireland.
The purpose of the twinning arrangement is to increase Irish and Irish American young peoples’
connection to each other, to Ireland and Irish culture; through enjoyable activities with young
people in a club in a different country.
A club wishing to twin should:
- Be willing to meet and do activities online with its twin
- Be available some weekend evenings to allow for the time difference (New York is 5 hours behind Ireland)
- Have an interest in sharing their culture with the members of the other club
- Be open to learning about the culture of the other country
- Have a similar member profile to its twin– in terms of gender mix and age range.
Here are some things twinned clubs might do together
- Introduction games
- Language differences
- Sports each like
- Music they like
- Club talent nights
- TAB (Tea and Biscuit) chat time
- Quiz with mixed teams
- School differences
- Penpal possibilities
It will be up to the paired clubs to decide how often they meet and what they do.
How do you get involved?
If your club is meeting during the summer consult your leaders and members. Don’t worry if you are
not open, we may be looking for more clubs in September.
Complete this form by the 31 st of May. It asks why you want to twin and why your club would make a
great choice. https://forms.gle/HStLjGrt1A6Gh9zK9
We may get more offers from Ireland than the number of USA clubs available. If so, we will review
the applications and have to make a choice. The judges’ decision is final.