February 7th marks Safer Internet Day, which is an International iniative to highlight safer use of the Internet. The theme of this year's event is ‘Be the change: Unite for a better internet’.
Safer Internet Day promotes responsible and safe use of online technology, and protecting yourself on the Internet.
10 Tips to Protect Yourself on Social Networks
1. Remember the Internet is permanent
2. Be selective when accepting a friend request
3. Exercise caution when clicking on links
4. Manage your privacy settings
5. Be aware of the fact that the information you share on one social network may be linked to another
6. Don’t reveal personal information
7. Turn off the GPS function on your smartphone camera
8. Don’t enable auto login
9. Change your passwords frequently
10. Close old accounts that you don’t use anymore
If you do need to speak to someone or get some support, here are some recommended places to go to.
Spun Out: www.spunout.ie
Reach Out: www.reachout.com
The Foróige Volunteer Conference, which takes place from March 3rd to 5th, will offer a workshop on Safe Internet Use for attendees who wish to learn more.